Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Dreams.

We all have dreams.
The moment the pregnancy test reads "positive," visions of the child we are carrying begin permeating our thoughts and making their way into our hearts.
We fall in love with this little peanut we cannot feel long before our belly shows signs of new life.

It was not different with Deak.
I had dreams.
Dreams of a little blond haired boy playing shortstop (because I never could) and catching touchdown passes. I felt the emotions; how it might feel to sit in the bleachers and proudly exclaim, "That's MY boy."

I learned to modify my dreams, but that process was not easy.
When we were told Deakon would not live, the pain that I endured is nearly incomprehensible to recall. It penetrated my heart so deeply, that I did not know if I could recover.
But, I did recover, and I allowed hope to prevail.
I learned that hope was a choice.
And, I choose to create a world of opportunity for my son.

Deak is working really hard on balance while standing unassisted at physical therapy.  He is doing amazing.  Yesterday, Lisa (Deak's wonderful therapist), in an effort to encourage balance, retrieved a plastic tee, bat and ball.  She was a little unsure as to whether or not Deak would enjoy the activity.

He loved it. 
Every single second. In fact, when the game ended, he crawled over to the ball across the room, brought it back to the tee, tried to place it on top, and grabbed the bat again.

My heart stood still.

Although my dreams have been twisted and turned around a bit, I have grown to understand that they are real, and they are possible.  Watching my Deak hit a ball, something that 4 and 5 year old boys do daily this time of year, is not something I take for granted.

It is a dream that the world attempted to take away from me.
A dream fulfilled.

Let this boy touch your life.
Register today to walk and run with us May 14, 2011.
Details above:)

2 comments:

  1. Sharing this!! So beautiful, and how so many of us moms to special kiddos feel!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet experience. I'm in love with this boy, and I look forward to meeting him race day!! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete