Friday, April 5, 2013

Stay Together.

Deak has always had a strong preference for certain types of music; rap and soul to be specific.
It's just his thing. He bops his head to the strong beats and grins from ear to ear while waving his arms a' la Stevie Wonder.
A few months ago, during an especially rough period of time, Deak and I had the night to ourselves.
I admittedly, often take these times for granted and find excuses to work or clean the house (I have a problem with sitting still).

But, that night, I didn't.

I needed him...perhaps hoping to steal a string of strength to cling onto.
We lied together on our family room floor and played songs on my iPhone; Deak breaking up the music with intermittent body slams and kisses.
As the playlist shuffled to Al Green's "Let's Stay Together," he inched his perfect body towards mine and wedged himself in between my legs while curling his fluffy head of hair into the crook of my neck.
I looked at him and sang "I am so in love with you...," and gently rubbed his little hand while it laid on top on my own.

Then, we just were...for a while.
And, I picked myself up from my low place and gained perspective.
Man, what would my life be like without him?
I can't imagine.

Since that night, that song has become "ours."

I whisper it in his ear when he is upset.
I sing it, cheek to cheek, as we wait together for the school bus to pull up to our driveway.
I am forced into repeated renditions during moments of boredom.

We belong together, he and I.
This baby boy, created in love, was meant to lie his beautiful hand inside mine forever.
And ever.
Even when I don't deserve it.

I am so in love with him...

Register today and join us May 4th for Deaks's Run for Hope.
He is worth it.
We'll even play you some soul.


No comments:

Post a Comment